radiantshadows

Radiant Shadows

Shiver (Wolves of Mercy Falls Series #1)

Shiver (Wolves of Mercy Falls Series #1) - I was so hesitant to read this book; I had picked it up, and put it back down several times before I decided to actually give it a try. I still can't put my finger on it, but from the first chapter I was fascinated and completely caught up in Sam and Grace's love story. I think a lot of my eagerness to devour this book had to do with how sad it is; Sam and Grace are in a race against the inevitable. They both know that when Sam returns to a wolf, the odds of him turning back into a human are almost non-existent, and Sam's knowledge of Grace will be nothing but whispers in the back of his memory. My heart hurts just thinking about Grace watching Sam as a wolf, knowing that he would run away if she were to call to him, another reason I fell in love with Shiver; Stiefvater's writing is beautiful and elegant and almost painful. There were moments where I would have to stop, take a minute to catch my breath or clutch at my chest as my heart broke for Sam and Grace. Stiefvater's writing in Shiver is how Grace describes Sam "beautiful and sad".